DownaYaad.Com
Welcome
Login / Register

News


  • SCHOOL FOOD DANGER! Loop News probe uncovers life-threatening items being sold to students

    Food items, which are restricted in other jurisdictions because of the life-threatening risk, are being sold to children at a number of educational institutions across the island, a probe by Loop News has uncovered.

    The probe has found that some of these items — which are known to sicken children elsewhere — are being sold at the gates of several primary and basic schools across the island.

    One of the products, a candy, identified during the probe is tagged “energy drink”. The candy, which is attractively wrapped, gives a similar effect similar to that of energy drinks when consumed.

    But unlike the labels of these energy drinks that warn against consumption by children of certain age, the candy gives no such caution in English. The writing on the back of the package, which appears to be in a foreign language, is barely visible.

    The energy drink candy sold at school gates can be bought for $10 and appears to be popular among the unsuspecting students.

    Several medical experts — including three paediatricians — have expressed major concerns about the findings.

    "Energy drinks, in particularly ones with high caffeine levels, are not safe for children," one medical official told Loop News.

    "Because of the high level of caffeine in some of these items we believe it is not fit for children. There have been cases where these items have been linked to seizures, diabetes, heart problems and behavioural disorders in adults much less children, whose bodies are not yet fully developed," said another doctor.

    Parents, shocked at what is being sold to their children, are calling for officials from the health and education ministries to step in and probe the issue.

    They expressed anger at the risk their children are being exposed to.

    The Loop News probe has also found that vendors without food handling permits are preparing and selling foods to students.

    BY: LOOP NEWS

    Read more »
  • I have never been politically appointed' - Dahlia Harris quits a day after announcement of new post

    Just a day after the announcement of the appointment of top-flight media and artistic personality, Dahlia Harris, as Director of Culture in Education within the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, Harris has resigned from the position.

    Harris, in a statement on social media, indicated that she resigned because she did not want her presence to "overshadow the hard work" of others in the culture and education programme. The appointment of Harris had been criticised by some people who claimed that she was a 'political appointee'.

    "My resignation is driven from a position of Jamaica first. It is contemptible to observe the defamatory statements being hurled at me in the public sphere, at both the personal and professional levels. My resignation is not however out of an effort to protect myself, it is out of the need to preserve the efforts of the Culture in Education programme and its value to the society," Harris said, noting "I am not prepared to remain at the Ministry at the expense of the well being of my coworkers."

    She also stated that she has "never been politically appointed".

    Harris said, "Like the rest of the nation I have seen advertisements in the public domain, submitted my resume and be interviewed. This has happened under both governments and not just in recent history." 

    The development contrasted sharply with the level of anticipation that Harris indicated of her new responsibilities on social media on Wednesday, amid both congratulation and criticisms about the appointment.

    It was, however, consistent with Harris’ dramatic departure from the position of Principal Director of Culture within the former Youth and Culture Ministry under the previous PNP administration. She took up that position in November 2013, and was dismissed in September 2014, after only 10 months on the job, following a major dispute with senior members of the then Lisa Hanna-led ministry.

    At the height of that dispute, Harris was reportedly summarily invited to the office of the permanent secretary of the then ministry, and told that she was being dismissed. The Jamaica Civil Service Association took a case for wrongful dismissal on her behalf then, to the Labour Ministry, but failed to get any redress.

    Harris' latest appointment came as one of the first major announcements under the new Andrew Holness administration in its first few weeks in office.

    The 1990 Festival Queen has, over time, become a household name nationally as a playwright, artistic director, actress, broadcaster, communications practitioner and marketing specialist.

    She is a graduate of the University of the West Indies, where she pursued a double major in mass communications and literature.

    Harris has served as a member of the Board of the Creative Production and Training Centre and the Entertainment Advisory Board of the Ministry of Tourism and Entertainment.

    Source BY: LOOP NEWS

    Read more »
  • Two more Zika cases confirmed in Jamaica

    The Ministry of Health has confirmed two more cases of the mosquito-borne Zika virus in Jamaica.

    Dr Winston De La Haye, acting Chief Medical Officer in the Health Ministry, in an interview with Loop News, said one of the cases was found in a female from the Greater Portmore area.

    The findings have increased the overall number of identified cases in the island to three.

    The Centre for Diseases Control and  Prevention states that the Zika virus disease is spread to people primarily through infected Aedes Aegypti mosquitos.

    Most common symptoms are fever, rash, joint pain, or red eyes.

    The centre states that members of the public can prevent Zika by avoiding mosquito bites. 

    Read more »
  • Truck crushes man to death in Lacovia [gruesome pics]

    Truck crushes man to death along Main Street in Lacovia in the parish on Tuesday.

    The deceased has been identified as Devon Brown, 44-year-old farmer of Main Street, Lacovia, St Elizabeth.

    According to police reports, sometime after six Tuesday evening, Brown was traveling along Main Street and, on reaching an intersection at Redding Road, he fell from his bicycle.

    A passing truck reportedly ran over his head.

    Brown, according to the police, was intoxicated.

    Source

    Truck crushes man to death along Main Street in Lacovia in the parish on Tuesday.

     

    The deceased has been identified as Devon Brown, 44-year-old farmer of Main Street, Lacovia, St Elizabeth.

    According to police reports, sometime after six Tuesday evening, Brown was traveling along Main Street and, on reaching an intersection at Redding Road, he fell from his bicycle.

    A passing truck reportedly ran over his head.

    Brown, according to the police, was intoxicated.

    Read more »
  • Step Father Cuts Off 7yr-old Head After Wife Confess Child Was Not His (Gruesome Images)

    It is reported that shortly after 12:00 noon yesterday, residents of the Westmoreland community of heard screams coming from a nearby house. Upon investigating, neighbors found 39 year old James O’Neil clutching the headless body of his 6 year old daughter while the body of his common-law partner lay unconscious on the ground. Circumstances surrounding the incident are not yet clear,

    however, family members allege that Mr. O’Neil discovered that his common-law partner had been sleeping with another man and that the child they raised together was not his. Sources claim that Mr. O’Neil had also threatened to kill both his common-law partner and the child during a recent confrontation. He has since been brought into custody while the Westmoreland police investigate.

    12324933_552565311570087_828564474_n

    Read more »
RSS