DownaYaad.Com
Welcome
Login / Register

Latest Articles


  • We want back our money - College students claim they were scammed by job agency

    ;

    Some University of Technology (UTech) students have been left fuming, as they feel they have been scammed out of thousands of dollars by a popular work and travel programme.

    Jason Brown*, a first year Information Technology student, told THE STAR that he plans to seek the advice of a lawyer on how to proceed in the matter because he wants back the entire US$1,300 (J$167,856) he gave to the work and travel programme to get a job for him this year.

    He said he discovered last month that the company did not submit the required documents for him to go on the programme, and have now refused to give him a full refund. He said he is not alone, as he knows of at least five other persons who are now facing the same dilemma.

    THE STAR understands that the work and travel company is to source a job for the applicant, then have the applicant sign the job offer form. The company would then submit the job offer form to an overseas sponsor, for the sponsor to issue a 'Ds 2019 form' which is required for the applicant to be granted a J1 visa.

     

    Multiple occasions

     

    According to Brown, the work and travel company kept assuring him that they had sent off his job offer form to the sponsors. He also showed THE STAR documentation from the work and travel company where they assured him on multiple occasions that he would soon receive his Ds 2019 form.

    Brown said he eventually contacted the sponsors directly to find out what was happening with his form.

    "When I contacted the sponsor, they said [the work and travel company] didn't submit any job offer forms, and the job that I signed to is not on their system none at all. When I contact them [work and travel company] and asked for the full refund, they said they are not going to give me back the full refund. They are going to take 25 per cent and give me back 75," Brown explained.

    He continued, "The work and travel company tried to justify the situation by saying there was no housing available, but I contacted another agency there and I contacted the employer that was on the job offer form, and they are saying housing is not an issue because housing is there."

    Another UTech student told THE STAR that the same thing happened to him.

     

    Full money

     

    "I received a job offer from the work and travel company, and when I contacted the overseas sponsor that processes the job offer, they told me that there is nothing for me in their system. After that, I went to the work and travel programme office, and I told them that I wanted my full money back. They told me I can only receive 75 per cent," he said.

    Although he does not want to settle for the 75 per cent refund, the student said he will have to do so, as he has to repay the loan he borrowed to go on the programme.

    A clause in the company's contract says: "The client who is not placed in a job by May 15, 2017, as well as those who submitted a partial application will be refunded seventy five per cent of the programme fee paid to [the company]."

    However the students argued that the company did not take the steps necessary to ensure they got a job, which they say is a breach of the contract.

    Several calls to the company's cellular and land line numbers for a comment went unanswered.

    Read more »
  • Police suspect strangulation in death of two sisters

    Rosrick and Rosricka King were found motionless in their home at Washington Court complex, off Washington Boulevard in St Andrew, on Saturday. 

    Police suspect that the two infant girls found dead in a St Andrew apartment had been strangled.

    Five-year-old Rosrick Deviana King and four-year-old Rosricka Devrickaye King were found motionless in their home at Washington Court complex, off Washington Boulevard in St Andrew, on Saturday. 

    The bodies of the deceased girls were seen with frothy mucus, with blood gushing from their nostrils and mouths; their lips, the palms of their hands and feet appeared to be blue in colour and what appeared to be urine [was] on their clothing.

    The police are awaiting post-mortem results to confirm the cause of death.

    Reports are that on Friday, the children’s mother left them in the care of her 15-year-old son to conduct business in Ocho Rios.

    The mother claimed that at about 6:45 am she got a call from her son while she was still in Ocho Rios that he found his sisters laying motionless bleeding from the nostrils and mouths.

    The children's aunt were summoned and she rushed the infants to Bustamante Hospital for Children where they were pronounced dead by a doctor.

    Police up to late Saturday was still questioning the mother and other relatives in relation to the incident.

    The death of the children has left residents in the area in shock.

    “Have mercy on us father what is this I am hearing why Lord why,” one woman said as she wept openly and had to be consoled by close relatives.

    The woman made the comment metres away from where a team of detectives were seen carrying out their investigations.

    Read more »
  • Flash flood watch issued for the entire island

    Image result for flash flood JAMAICA

    A flash flood watch has been issued by the Meteorological Service for low-lying and flood-prone areas of all parishes.    

    The watch will remain in effect until 5:00 pm on Saturday.

    The flash flood watch means that flash flooding is possible, and residents are advised to take precautionary measures, keep informed by listening to further releases from the Meteorological Service, and be ready for quick action if flooding is observed, or if a warning is issued.           

    The Met office said unstable atmospheric conditions associated with a trough over the central Caribbean were expected to influence weather conditions across Jamaica from Friday until Sunday.

    The projections were for heavy rainfall to affect sections of most parishes at different points over the period.

    A few weeks ago, heavy rains swept the island and led to extensive flooding in several communities, particularly in Clarendon.

    Read more »
  • Cops question mother after two girls found dead in St Andrew apartment

    Photo of the two young girls whose bodies were found in an apartment on Saturday

    Police are now questioning the mother of the two young girls whose bodies were found inside an apartment at the Washington Court complex, off Washington Boulevard in St Andrew, on Saturday. 

    "We can confirm that the mother and several other persons are being questioned in relation to the case," detectives from St Andrew Central police division told Loop News.

    Police said so far no one has been charged in relation to the development but hinted that things could change as the investigations progress.

    Two girls said to be ages five and six were pronounced dead at the Bustamante Children's Hospital on Saturday morning after they were taken to the facility by family members.

    Details are unclear as to what caused the death but sources say strange marks were found on the bodies of the children.

     Sources claim the children were left at home unsupervised. 

    The death of the children has left residents in the area in shock.

    “Have mercy on us father what is this I am hearing why Lord why,” one woman said as she wept openly and had to be consoled by close relatives.

    The woman made the comment metres away from where a team of detectives were seen carrying out their investigations.

     

     

    Read more »
  • JUST IN: Two infant girls found dead inside St Andrew apartment

    Persons react to the death of the children at the Washington Court apartment complex in St Andrew on Saturday morning.

    Two infant girls were pronounced dead at the Bustamante Children's Hospital on Saturday morning after they were rushed to the facility by family members.

     

    Details are unclear but reports reaching Loop News are that the girls were found inside an apartment at the Washington Court complex, off Washington Boulevard in St Andrew. Sources say strange marks were found on the bodies of the children, ages five and six.

     

    The police have launched a probe into the incident. According to sources, allegations are that the children were left at home unsupervised. 

     

    More details later as Loop continues to track the development.

     

    Read more »
RSS